to checkout total: €0.00
advanced search
  • from

What do the abbreviations RDA, RBA, RDTA and RTA mean?

These are abbreviations from the vaping scene, from the world of e cigarettes.The tongue twisters are both abbreviated and spelled out. I'll tell you what these abbreviations mean, if you haven't already known.


Sub Ohm Tanks
Refillable pods

RDAs, RTAs and RDTAs

Innokin Thermo RDA Tank Innokin Thermo RDA Tank
Vendor: Innokin
Price: €38.99
check more
Innokin Ares RTA Innokin Ares RTA
Vendor: Innokin
Price: €38.99
check more
Innokin Ares 2 MTL RTA Innokin Ares 2 MTL RTA
Vendor: Innokin
Price: €38.99
check more

RTA = Rebuildable Tank Atomizer.

Great, and what is that in practice? An RTA is a tank whose coils head you can wind yourself.
Tank means that the tank has a storage container for liquid. That is not necessarily a given.
RTA is a completely normal atomizer, regardless of whether it is sub-ohm, high-ohm or other ohm that has no ready-made heads. A technical characteristic of this vaporizer is a closed system that works with slight negative pressures that arise during vaping (Kayfun principle).

Another technical principle is pressure-free and based on capillary action (typhoon evaporator, stainless steel sieve evaporator). The capillary action is also part of the RDTA vaporizer.

Warning, confused warr in the shops: Sometimes vaporizers for which there are only ready-made heads are incorrectly referred to as RTA.

Dripper is a dripper, a bit more detailed a drip evaporator. In contrast to the tank evaporator, the drip evaporator has no tank.

In contrast to the tank evaporator, a dripper is an open system. The liquid is dripped through the DripTip onto the cotton wool every few puffs. Some drip vaporizers have a small liquid tray. In this way 2ml to 3ml can be accommodated in the drip tank with the cotton as a buffer.

RDA = Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer

But we can now also form RDTA. That would mean according to the previous explanations

  • Rebuildable
  • Dripping
  • tank
  • Atomizer

So what is that?

Didn't we learn that dripping and tank are two different systems? One is an open system, the other has a closed tank? Indeed, RDTA tanks combine both, at least from a marketing perspective.

An RDTA tank usually has a winding on top that draws the liquid from the tank below by capillary action. Basically this is an RTA with a special design. But the D is currently selling very well. RDTA is more of a confusing term, especially for the beginner

The market for RDA tanks is huge. The most commonly used winding deck is the Velocity deck, which is generously built and easy to wind. RDA vaporizers are made to produce huge amounts of vapor. Vaping takes place on the lungs (DTL - direkt to lung).

Currently very popular representatives of RTDA vaporizers are vaporizers from iJoy

This is not a tank type, but rather a component to turn a ready-made coil evaporator into an RTA (Rebuildable Tank Atomizer). This component is screwed in instead of the finished coils. The RBA is a self-developing unit.

The best example is the Subtank Mini *, more suitable for back steamer, which I myself only use with the RBA.

Or the popular TFV8, the steam beast that is more for lung steamers.

The shop then says something like: Tanks with RBA as accessories, the possibility to wrap yourself and the same.

These tanks with RBA unit are ideal for beginners who might like to try winding themselves, are not sure and can simply screw in ready-made heads in case of doubt.


Whenever you come across a name that starts with R and ends with A, it is a self-winding atomizer or accessory. The letters in between tell what exactly it is about.

RTA - Rebuildable Tank Atomizer / Self-winding atomizer

RDA - Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer / Tröpfelevaporfer to wrap yourself

RDTA - Rebuildable Dripping Tank Atomizer / Tank drip vaporizer to wrap yourself

RBA - Rebuildable Base (for) Atomizer / component, accessories for pre-fab atomizer


Shop is in view mode
View full version of the site
Sklep internetowy